I added small and medium dog slings on 2/10/2015 for people who don’t sew. Prices are for fabric slings only. The instructions on how to make the PVC frames can be found at PVC Dog Cot Tutorial.
|Large||30 x 36||$58|
|Medium||24 x 30||$54|
|Small||18 x 24||$50|
I’ve been mentally wrestling with this idea since Christmas and need to make a decision. The mental wrestling has been a result of really wanting to help out the non-sewers who have asked me to make dog cot slings for them, but feeling guilty about the price I have to charge so I won’t be giving my time away.
You probably should also be aware the first time I tried making slings for a reader who asked me she then refused to pay when they were ready to ship. Kind of left me with a “no good deed goes unpunished” feeling. It wouldn’t have been so bad if she simply told me she changed her mind, but instead she kept telling me over and over she would send the money. After weeks I got the point and gave up. When I finally sold the slings to others it was to really nice people who were fun to deal with and promptly paid. Thanks to them for the positive experience.
Explanation of process: If someone orders one I have to go to Joann to buy the fabric and matching thread. Get an okay from the person ordering that the color will work for them. Then I have to lay it out, measure and mark the fabric, cut the fabric, iron the hems, sew the hems, measure, mark and sew the loops, iron both pieces, request payment, arrange for shipping. It all takes time if you want nicely done dog slings. I just want you to understand I didn’t arrive at the price lightly. Even at $56 it will most likely work out to me making less than $10 an hour, especially when you factor in gas. This is not a mass production shop, but me sewing one at a time in my home.
Costs of fabric slings only for large dog cot frame only:
The picture shows the current price of duck cloth at Joann and the colors that were available the day of the picture (the black box in the upper right corner isn’t duck cloth so I blocked it out). I can’t promise every color will be available with at least 1 5/8 yard on the bolt. Some of those skinny bolts probably don’t have enough yardage on them. And it all depends on what’s in stock on any given day.
- This is for the fabric slings only fitting the large dog cot frame. The corners and PVC are available locally so you would buy and assemble the frame and then add the slings when they arrive. The PVC pipe sides would be cut 32″ and 26″ for these slings.
- I do have 8 corners if anyone can’t find them. They are $3 each and I would need to ship in a larger box so shipping would be higher.
- The above cost is based on the current price of duck cloth and thread at Joann and subject to change. I know Joann has coupons, but I can’t count on that so I have to go with the list price.
- I applied for a FL sales tax certificate, but only FL residents would be subject to that.
- The shipping cost is based on my ability to cram the slings into a Priority Mail™ Padded Flat Rate Envelope and subject to change if I am not able. If anyone has cheaper shipping options I’m open to ideas.
- It would be 10 days from time of order to request for payment. When payment is received I will immediately arrange for shipping. If I can get them done sooner, I would ship as soon as they are completed.
- Color — always keep in mind your monitor may not be showing the same color as my picture, so color can be close, but not exact unless you go to Joann and see it in person.
- The duck fabric is sturdy 100% cotton and can be washed and dried.
How to order
Please use the contact page to email me. Tell me which color in the picture below – I numbered the top and bottom row so tell me “top row 8 dark brown” or “bottom row 14 purple” as examples. Please send two colors in case your first choice isn’t in stock. Be descriptive since getting the right color will make me nervous. I will get back to you about availability once I go to the store.
I prefer QuickPay through online banking since there are no service fees involved and I’m trying to keep the price down. I will send a payment request to your email address. If you have other suggestions for payment, let me know.
I would love to have payment in advance of sewing, but just don’t feel right about that. Once the order is placed I will start making the slings and have them ready to ship in a maximum of 10 days. I will send a request for payment and the slings will ship as soon as the payment is received.
If anyone has questions or concerns don’t hesitate to contact me. Happy to answer questions and open to discussion.
Large, Medium, and Small sizes available
I went ahead and made frames for medium and small (as well as the original large) and will be selling the slings in all three sizes at the prices listed above.
Still not sure?
Here’s a link to a thank you post one of my reader’s (and purchaser of the dog cot slings) posted on her blog Keely and Ranger’s Dog Cots.